Nearly half of holiday decoration fires happen because decorations are placed too close to a heat source. As you deck the halls this season, be fire smart.
- Inspect holiday lights for frayed or pinched wires before putting them up.
- Water your Christmas tree every day. A dry tree can catch on fire easily.
- Consider using battery-operated flameless candles.
- Make sure lit candles are in stable holders where they cannot be knocked down easily and keep away from pets and children.
- Overloaded electrical outlets are a major fire hazard.
- Some lights are for indoor or outdoor use only – not both. Be sure to check packaging before installing them.
By following a few simple practices and precautions, you can create a fun and perfectly fire-safe holiday for you and your loved ones. And remember, have working smoke alarms in your home and create a home escape plan. For more information and free fire-safety resources, visit usfa.fema.gov